PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Converison FAA to EASA - having a difficult time preparing for check-ride
Old 16th Sep 2018, 19:10
Transsonic2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converison FAA to EASA - having a difficult time preparing for check-ride

Hi all,

perhaps somebody is/was in the same boat and has some advise for me. My EASA exams will expire by the end of October this year (2018) and currently I'm at a flight school preparing for the EASA CPL/IR check-ride (haven't been flying since 2009, but got my FAA license current last year). I must say I didn't expect it to be that challenging, things are certainly different here in EASA land and I feel like a total beginner. But the main problem is that I don't really get along with my assigned instructor (we are two completely different characters "East meets West" so to speak) and he is not much of help for me! He pretty much let's me alone, but he constantly gives me the impression that I piss him off! Not much of communication between us (e.g. no post flight, only the necessary paperwork, like invoice and his logbook and no assignment what's next) and then he complains about my performance or why I didn't prepare this and that. I mean when I started (a few days ago) he showed me how things are done, where to get information etc. But to me it was a complete information overflow! The school uses a program called Flightlogger - I'm still in the process of exploring it and where to find things. In my opinion they should have mentioned this well in advance in order to familiarize oneself with the "program" and it's content before the training starts!

Tomorrow I have a sim session (with this guy) and I still don't have the charts to prepare for it - it will be a complete waste of time and money! I feel like throwing up, I don't know if I should cry or be pissed off!

This is a small school and apparently he is the only instructor qualified to train me, otherwise I'd switch to a different instructor! If I'd only had more time (exams expire by end of October) I'd certainly go and look for another school to finish the conversion!!! But I think I'm running out of time, unfortunately! I seems like a lifetime dream is coming to a bitter end!

Any advise greatly appreciated - many thanks!

Last edited by Transsonic2000; 16th Sep 2018 at 22:06.