PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2018, 14:55
Franek Grabowski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chugalug
We were used during the communist period that the media lie, and it did not change. Like Trump or not, but fake news is reality. Whenever I see an article about Poland in British media, I wonder if I live in the same country.
As to sources, well, those who were there, I mean No 303, are all gone. They left a diary, filed in those hot days of September 1940, but it does not say everything. Very few of the surviving airmen had written memories, so I am afraid we could never learn the truth. Anyway, there is no evidence of Frantisek separating from a formation and going for a kill alone, unless the squadron formation broke. He and several pilots when left some ammunition after combat were going in the Channel direction, to finish any German still flying, and there is some evidence it was called Zumbach's Way or Method.
There is one thing that is usually not noticed in regard of No 303 and Polish and Czech or rather Czechoslovak pilots in general. At the end of August RAF started to suffer dangerous shortages of pilots, the replacements being too unexperienced to be put into combat. Right at the moment, No 303 went into action, and according to British and German witnesses, did it in unforgettable style, fiercely attacking and firing from extremelly short range. The effect was, that Fighter Command fully realised, that the exile airmen are no worse, and even better than the RAF ones. They also knew, that with two more Polish Squadrons, No 306 and No 308 being almost ready to combat, and with reserves which allowed to form further three complete squadrons with groundcrew (there were shortages of those as well) and other auxillary services, there is a necessary reserve to survive until winter, when the weather is poor. So, they could send all the RAF squadrons available into combat, knowing that they could be replaced.

Re Cadix, this is the name appearing in all Polish books. The French WWII history was for several years a touchy political subject, and there was a lot of bias in the research for the past 70 years. Also Anglo-American policy took its tall. There are lots of mysteries and unanswered questions, but hopefully more balanced view will emerge with time.
In regard of TORCH, try to obtain the book of this man. I have read the Polish version, and it is absolutely fascinating, and the man was not bragging, his role being confirmed in other sources.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mieczy...C5%82owikowski
The Cadix team was breaking Axis codes, no foul play on Allies, but some testing of Polish codes in use. At least that is what is known.
The Polish code breakers in Manchuria is virtually unknown story. It was an effect of very long Polish-Japanese cooperation starting before WWI, which went into full swing in 1920s, and aiming Soviet Union. This did not stop after break up of WWII, but the full story was never told. The problem is that the period of communism in Poland virtally stopped historical research for two basic reasons. Commies did not want to portray activities of the pre-war and wartime legal Polish governemnt in positive way, and in turn, nobody wanted to provide commies with any information that they could use. Hence there is plenty of stories and a number of larger than life characters that remain unknown even to experts.