PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2018, 08:46
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Franek, thank you for your valuable input on both issues; Frantisek and Cadix. You are absolutely correct by saying that we should not believe everything we read in the media, or even the settled conventional take on things. There is no better source than those who were there, witness Danny and his fellow posters, or those who have studied closely those who were there, witness yourself. That is the unique value of this very unique thread, and is the continuous link throughout it. Whatever Frantisek's combat techniques were, they clearly worked, and added greatly to the successful outcome of the Battle of Britain. I am not a revisionist and sincerely believe that had the outcome been otherwise we would have become another protectorate of Hitler's Reich.

As to Cadix (Cadiz?), this is clearly a known unknown. The French of WWII were a much divided people, with many factions ranging from full collaborationists, through armed resisters, to the Free French armed services, with the majority ranged between the two extremes, among whom were those who used the situation to settle old scores, indulge their racial prejudices, or simply seek more wealth or power. Vichy in particular harboured some very unpleasant people. Some of their military leaders were possessed of more than an average amount of arrogance. One thinks of General Giraud demanding total command of the invasion forces of Operation Torch and then taking no part at all when that was refused! The thought that a Polish team under Bertrand was breaking German, Italian, (and Allied?) codes at the physical centre of this maelstrom of intrigue and treachery is truly alarming, and is entirely new to me, as I say.

As to a Polish team breaking codes for the Japanese? Another blockbuster revelation! Much more about that please.

Last edited by Chugalug2; 16th Sep 2018 at 14:13. Reason: Speling