PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh-3
Thread: Edinburgh-3
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2018, 16:25
Breathe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Plane mad 134
As I see there has been more expansion happened in terms of more aircraft parking and passenger space, I have looked at potential unserved and underserved routes that my happen:

Bucharest: Wizz Air, Ryanair (most likely) or Blue air possibly even Tarom as this is a major unserved destination could work 3-4 x a week.
Wizz Air moved from PIK to GLA and have gradually been downsizing their offering since. Given the strength of Wizz Air in Eastern Europe, it could make work along with other destinations, if they decided to make a go of it at EDI.
Delhi: Air India or Jet Airways this is the biggest unserved destination with 40,000 passengers going indirect or from another airport this could work 1 daily.
I doubt very much either of these carriers will be coming to EDI anytime soon, especially AI! They are in a financial mess. An India route isn't totally out of the question though, IndiGo have been rumored to be looking at buying widebody aircraft for long-haul routes. So perhaps a summer seasonal/charter could happen, but probably not for a good couple of years.
Hannover: Eurowings (most likely), Flybe or Wizzair 3x a week.
A summer seasonal could work here.
Hong Kong: This would be a far stretch but Cathay possibly 5x weekly on an A350-900.
Probably not going to happen in the short term, but then again, they did announce DUB recently. While in the same region, Singapore might not be out of the question. According to this data (slide 27):

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/download...mbers_2017.pdf

an estimated 14,000 people visited from Singapore, add to that connections to the rest of the region, a route with SQ might be viable if the figures stack up, and after all, they do need to fly all those planes they've ordered somewhere.

Los Angeles and Las Vegas: Again a long stretch but If it happens United, Virgin Atlantic or Thomas Cook could maybe try 1-2 x weekly each.

Orlando: Thomas Cook or Virgin Atlantic 1-2 x weekly.
I really don't see any of these routes happening anytime soon. Norwegian made noises when they announced the east coast routes, that places like San Francisco and LA would start a few years later. Given their financial situation, who knows if this will likely to come to fruition. In terms of the USA, perhaps United could be inclined to adding another seasonal route to their hubs (hopefully this doesn't come at the expense of GLA) and Delta might try again with their Atlanta megahub.

As others have mentioned, with only one seasonal route with Rouge, Canada seems more a more likely bet for Tran-Atlantic routes in the near future.

Moscow: Aeroflot A320 1x daily.
Given the political climate, I doubt a Moscow route will happen anytime soon.

In terms of other routes:
  • China - another route is certainly possible if Hainan make a success of EDI.
  • Tokyo - they've been charters in the past as part of European tours. ANA have said that they looking to expand their European operations. So perhaps a summer seasonal might not be out of the realms of possibility.
  • Europe/domestic - no doubt they'll be many continental European routes that will come (and go), they're too many routes across the continent to speculate about! In terms of domestic routes, perhaps flybe will try to succeed where easyJet failed at Southend Airport. The owners have said they would like an EDI route.
Just my 2 pence.