PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria - Dauphin in the fog...
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2018, 10:15
Al-bert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hihover
Shy, I believe you are confusing a few issues here to bolster your case that our "military are required to train to fly in extremely poor weather"...... We were not allowed above 150ft because the Phantoms, Jaguars and Harriers were allowed to fly down to 250ft. Nothing to do with training for bad weather. Expected to launch on a "TASK" when the cloud base was 200 ft and the visibility 800m is not quite the same as sending pilots out to TRAIN in extreme weather.

You are implying that military pilots are sent out specifically to train in poor weather, I disagree emphatically.

There is training value to be had when we get it wrong and end up in extremely poor conditions, and there are lessons to be learned, but no-one departs on any military training flight with that intention.

DB - have we just wandered into Round 5??? I have to learn how not to take crab bait.
I think the UPPER limit on one such week long exercise in my distant RAFG past was 100ft for helos; but even that was a bit risky because of the Belgian F104's who didn't seem to agree with any limits when it came to Germany!

Last edited by Al-bert; 15th Sep 2018 at 10:37.