PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating Companies Theory
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2003, 19:57
Louis Euan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Type Rating Companies Theory

There seems to be a lot of talk about TR's at the moment. This is mostly due to the fact that the industry is in recession at the moment and people feel the need to have that extra advantage when applying for those few jobs available. Personally I will not pay for a TR mainly because I cannot afford one but also think it is a huge financial risk unless there is a guaranteed job at the end, or possibly a very good chance.
However my point is that until recently TR companies have been pretty much low key affairs, that is to say there never seems to be a hell of a lot of promotion or advertising, may be a couple of ads in Flight Int.. My theory is that this was because they had plenty of work from people doing TRings, whereas now they seem to be advertising everywhere and offering all sorts of benefits and schemes such as Bond Aviation etc. This may be because the business is slowing down because peolple are not needing to get trype ratings because they are getting jobs.

I am forever the optimist!

The other theory could be that they could have a touch of the OATS where airlines have deserted them because of the down turn so they need to advertise to a different market ie us the wannabe pilot desperate for a job. OATS have had to change there marketing plans, now they have huge adverts in Flight and FLYER etc. Whereas before they had a lot of business from the airlines sponsored cadets. Now TR companies have followed suit and seem to be offering all sorts of schemes with big ad campaigns to draw in the desperate wannabe pilot.

Any thoughts?

I am always looking for positive signs for an industry boost.