PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria - Dauphin in the fog...
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2018, 08:33
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
DB - I don't think you understood what Hihover was saying - a crew wouldn't be authorised specifically to fly in those conditions - they were authorised for low flying - standard 100'agl/10m MSC, got caught by the weather, turned round and resumed. If you end up below your authorised minima, you recover to normal limits asap and report it on return to your authorising officer - as I said earlier, exactly what they did.

Our standard SAROPs auth had no weather limits or minima applied to it, it was at captain's discretion (and that of his crew) how far you pushed into bad weather, it depended on the risk assessment at the time.
Precisely what I meant; but as with many subjects on this forum, some prefer to be show outrage, possibly because they have a relatively limited experience. In one particular theatre I flew in (my first tour as it happens, albeit over thirty five years ago) the air control orders sometimes decreed that we were to fly not above 150 feet agl, albeit we were auth'd to fly not below 50 feet agl in either an exercise area (see the previous reference to a "443'd" area) or an area where the detachment / local commander considered his crews familiar enough to fly to the reduced height, which was usually after a few days. We were expected to launch on task as soon as the local weather colour code went above "Red", which iirc was below 200 ft cloudbase and 800 metres visibility. Under those constraints it wasn't unusual to find oneself in a similar situation to the one shown in the video.