PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Catering Tales
Thread: Catering Tales
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2018, 06:58
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Then there was Jenkins

Cpl Jenkins was a steward at Cottesmore. Not sure where he worked but probably the feeder. Now Jenkins always seemed to get on the dispersal exercises. I don't think the SACs liked him because he was so efficient.

First time was at Ballykelly. We arrived, turned the aircraft round and came up on state and then went the dispersal accommodation. There, tables laid with fresh linen, Jenkins brought out our post-flight meal, ham eggs and chips I think - all five at once. The other 3 crews received the same superb attention. The exercise continued with Jenkins managing the Bomber Command 4-hr eating cycle. Later we had afternoon tea before stacking for the night, a few beers in the Mess, steaks in the bar, and back to our bedrooms in the dispersal, but not before supper where Jenkins produced more ham and eggs.

Another time at Pershore Jenkins contains in that vein but found time to light a coal fire in the crew room.

While he was not officially a cook he turns his hand to anything and made the austere dispersal into comfortable mini-Messes. To my shame we never saw how our groundless fares as once on state our movement was limited and on stand down we would go to the Mess or off base.