PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A little too undomfortable
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2018, 19:51
UN-Coordinated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little too uncomfortable

After a fairly orderly boarding of the delayed Arik Air flight this afternoon Lagos to Port Harcourt, I was taken aback by a series of announcements by the crew.
1. The flight attendant made the first announcement that "Capt first name, second name, better known as......... - and then proceeded to call the Capt by his nickname, now I cant remember the nickname but it was not far off " Known as Johnny Lightyear"....... welcome you aboard this delayed flight to Port Harcourt etc etc
2. Then our dear Capt came on, and again announced his name, "better known as - and again used his nickname and he went on to welcome everyone on board.
3. He then went on to advise why the flight had been delayed, and instead of the usual "operational reasons", which is Arik speak for "our scheduling is unrealistic with the equipment/resources available" , he announced that the inbound flight from Abuja had not only been delayed due to an incident at Abuja airport, he then went on to describe, with just a little too much detail for comfort, that "an aircraft had crashed at Abuja last night" !!
4. Our Captain then went on to introduce the "Chicks" who were going to take care of us during the flight ! Thank God a certain Serena Williams was not on the flight, I cant imagine what she would have thought at our flight attendants being referred to as "CHICKS" !!
5 And if all that had not left me gob-smacked enough he signed off his pre-flight welcome with that so reassuring phrase to make you feel that you are in the hands of a true professional " Sit back, relax and LETS ROCK AND ROLL" !!!

The flight went smoothly, though at TOD our Captain came on again with the usual ETA and WX info, again apologizing for the delay, again going into what I thought was just a little "too much information" about the incident in Abuja (which incidentally I have not seen any write up on PPRUNE - aircraft in question is 5N-BOD) and we had a very smooth landing in Port Harcourt.

Whilst I understand that to get into the left seat one must have a certain amount of self confidence, I think being known professionally by your nickname, and even referring to it yourself is a step too far.
One should always use discretion when referring to others misfortune
Referring to your work colleagues as "chicks" well that left be wondering if this guy needed to go on a PC course
And as for "Lets Rock and Roll" I felt his self confidence had gotten the better of him

I am not after a character assassination but someone in Arik needs to do have a quiet word in Captain Nickname's ear. This kind of behavior shouts unprofessionalism, and thats something we can all do without. The whole experience left me feeling a little too uncomfortable.

Any comments ??

Last edited by UN-Coordinated; 13th Sep 2018 at 20:25. Reason: Spelling error on the Title !