PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - As Air Canada soars, WestJet takes a predictable nosedive
Old 12th Sep 2018, 23:12
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is still an apples to oranges comparison. While I would not suggest WJ's future is 100% rosy, I do not think they're knocking on the door to join the line behind Ward Air, Canadian, Canada 3000, et. al. Not yet at least.

There are many things that AC does that WJ is seemingly only just starting to do, so of course their revenue stream per employee/tail is higher.

AC has a much larger cargo business than WJ. AC has a first and business class while WJ has Plus (for what, $40 more than economy?). AC has established contracts with its employees, WJ is just getting going on that front. AC did not publically lose a CEO like WJ did, for whom I assume a very nice golden parachute was paid out and accounted to "pilot strike."

There are rocky days ahead for WJ, but if AC is any indicator, you can successfully turn a ship around in a unionized environment.

I look forward to the Q3 and Q4 results. If they come in the same or worse than the Q2 results, I might be tempted to join Mr. Olive on his bandwaggon.

Oh, and....

The shame of it is that, while Canadian travellers still mourn the demise of Wardair, they would not miss the new WestJet
Perhaps Mr. Olive needs to travel west of Ontario. I mean, I know Toronto is the centre of the universe and all, but imagine what would happen in the political climate as it is now if Ottawa permitted another Alberta industry employing thousands to fail. First a pipeline, then an airline? Notley might just decide to stop paying all taxes to Ottawa!