PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fastest Way to Get PPL
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2018, 09:23
PelicanSquawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel qualified to comment on this, as I had exactly the same plan in mind when I first started. In the end I opted to fly as intensively as possible every weekend 2/3 lessons per day, and every day during the week I was studying the theory. I then took 2 weeks off block and planned on flying 3 times a day every day, but in the end this was too much , and I didn't feel I was learning well, so I cut it back to what I was happy with.

I would not recommend doing all the theory before, and then the practical, as there is no context. I found that as I flew more, I required more of the theory knowledge, and perhaps the choke on progress was the lack of all the theory, but I felt learning the relevant bits as I went along was much more constructive for practising and getting what I wanted out of my time in the air. This is especially true for Navigation.

The benefit of learning intensively is that you have an opportunity to build on your mistakes/learning in quick succession, and there isn't so much an element of re learning each time. I would also say it is much better to learn in Ireland, if that is where you plan to fly, it'll make you a much more confident when you do have your license.

All in I took a little over 3 months, and completed in just over 45 hours (so minimums), this was learning in the winter, in the UK! I felt this was fast paced enough, and I wouldn't have gone for any quicker, as you need time for things to sink in, time to research what didn't go quite so well, and apply the theory you are learning along side. I really would make a point of saying that the theory isn't just a tick in the box, and you will learn and understand much quicker in the air, if you're learning the theory first. I did find the 2 weeks of flying every day in the run up to my test was very good at this stage, but before that flying on Saturday and then Sunday, with the rest of the week off felt perfect...if not a little quick, as ultimately it was my theory exams which slowed down taking my test earlier.

I am currently studying for my ATPL, and will be selecting a school for the CPL MEIR etc ratings, I am actually looking at schools which take a bit longer as a good thing...I don't wish to spend 1000's of pounds to just be rushed through a course...I want to enjoy it, and take my time.

Any way thats my 2 pence. To summarise I think intensive is good, but not to the extent that you're trying to do it all in X amount of days...just fly as frequent as you feel like it, take your test when you're ready, and when you're not flying use your interest to study up on the theory. This all worked very well for me.

Good luck whatever you do.