PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The 80 knot call - potential for confusion?
Old 11th Oct 2003, 09:15
maxalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If modern pilots had the ATTITUDE/POWER basic skill like back in the time, a blocked pitot would not be such a big deal, and certainly not a reason to die.
LEM you made two posts in this vein. I think you are being a bit harsh on modern pilots.

By modern pilots (like the guys in the Birgenair 757) I guess you are referring to pilots who spend most of their time flying Glass Cockpits with sophisticated Flight Directors and Autopilots?

Do you know that (as per manufacturers recomendation) the SOPs at many airlines require crews to use the FD all the time, and Autopilots most of the time? Who can blame them for losing the basics of Pitch and Power flying? It isn't being taught and it is not being required of them!

However, not just 'modern' pilots have crashed aircraft through basic instrument failure. I remember this Northwest Orient accident in 1974...on a 727. Icing caused erroneous airspeed increase on climb which the crew misinterpreted as being real...resulting in a fatal stall. You can hardly say those guys were misled by modern cockpit philosophies?

I experienced pitot icing during descent in cloud some years back and it was an ass puckering moment, and no matter how good you think you are I defy any pilot not to be momentarily shocked and disoriented when he sees his airspeed rocketing upward and overspeed warnings ringing in his ears. It takes a massive effort of logic over instinct to resist doing something very stupid and deadly.