PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabri crash at John Wayne Airport Sept 2018
Old 11th Sep 2018, 09:29
Reely340

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShyTorque
Reely,

That question illustrates my earlier point about training. It's also about knowing your aircraft. What happens on "your" aircraft depends on aircraft design and the type of failure. Some (e.g. Sikorsky) have a tail pitch centreing mechanism of some sort (normally spring loaded) so in the event of a flying control disconnection the tail blades will adopt a pre-set mid position which should allow a known flight configuration to be flown to a landing. Other types don't have such a mechanism so the tail rotor blade pitch could go anywhere, depending on the failure mode.
Well, from my routine wiggling of the control rod during pre-flight inspection I could assure they'll stay put whereever I set them,statically.
What no person could assure me of is if they are designed to go for an emergency friendly "neutral" AoA while turning, w/o control input.

Originally Posted by ShyTorque
There is a lot of advice in the CAA document I linked to earlier.
Error 404. Pls always copy/past the document's title wehn posting a link, as web-site operators typically do not care if their redesign #2032 has broken URLs.

Last edited by Reely340; 11th Sep 2018 at 10:07.