PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbojet Axial Rotor Thrust - SR-71
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2018, 20:43
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An honor to be addressed personally by you sir. Thank you

I accept: The engine is an integrated system. Only with caution should we simplify by “dividing” the whole into “zones.”

Breaking down the dynamic system into “partial thrust values” in my opinion suggests that “Thrust” is created within that zone. Is that right? Because, the gas “load” suggests only where the “effects” of thrust occur.

i am perfectly comfortable with the diagram. Zone 1-2 “feels” the most thrust, while the zone 2-3 feels second most thrust. The structure that “experiences” the bulk of thrust I take to be the aft portion of the sloping centrebody.

The structure acting as the Newtonian wall (“reaction”) is the inner forward portion of the combustion chamber?

It is tempting to say that the loads are assigned by position and distance from exhaust. The ultimate impinged structure is the furthest from the efflux, imo. The Inlet.

Another thing. Single spool integral rotating mass, the “rotor”. Related to the original question, is it permitted to entertain this rotor as “floating” in its thrust bearings, when the axial aerodynamic loads are equal? (Compressor, Turbine).

Best to you,

John

OK, it took two hours and twenty minutes....
hallelujah...got it. Forever in your debt CliveL.

Last edited by Concours77; 10th Sep 2018 at 23:11. Reason: The Eureka