PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radio standard?
Thread: Radio standard?
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2018, 18:16
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by BackPacker
I agree that the order of the elements of the message is not always consistent or logical. In a "cleared to land" message, there's only few elements so who cares, but in a "departure clearance" message, it still amazes me that the order is NOT chronological. I think the official phrase would be "G-XX Mike departure 1000 feet, wind 250 at 8, cleared take-off 24", while a more chronological order would be "cleared take-off 24, Mike departure 1000 feet, wind 250 at 8".

I don't know if it's correct or not, but I try to visualise the whole departure and then read it back in chronological order. "Cleared take-off 24 with a Mike departure 1000 feet, G-XX". Works for me.
The departure procedure (Mike departure 1000ft) should be passed with either start (if applicable) ot taxy clearance; to pass it with takeoff clearance is unprofessional as it loads the crew with too much information at once. Even if it is necessary to pass an amendment to the departure, it should be passed separately and acknowledged by the crew before takeoff clearance is given.