PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2018, 20:44
Tengah Type

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Franek ref Bruno Szota. I think we are talking of the same man. Like all people of his generation he did not sit down and tell you about his war. But over two and a half years he told you bits of it while you were having a beer.
If I am correct he was a Cpl in the Polish Army, as an anti aircraft gunner., When the Germans invaded in 1939 he was captured by the Germans but escaped to return home to Eastern Poland where he was imprisoned by the Russians, who had now occupied Eastern Poland. He was sent to a POW camp at Murmansk. He escaped from there skiing south on skis made from bedboards with a few others. They then got on a train to Moscow and on to the Caspian Sea. They survived by selling some blue curtain material they had stolen on a train.
After the Sikorski/Mayski agreeement to reform the Polish Army he rejoined. When there was a call for volunteers for aircrew training he volunteered. He never mentioned training at Karachi, but I know he went via Persia/Iran through the Gulf to South Africa before sailing to UK. I believe that he was one of the few torpedoing victims to survive. !0%??
He always thought that, in comparison, Iggy had had an easy war.
All the Polish people I had the pleasure to fly and serve with were very professional and excellect company.