PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabri crash at John Wayne Airport Sept 2018
Old 8th Sep 2018, 02:03
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With a grand total of 3 hours on fenestrons (2 on a G2, 1 on an EC130) and all the rest of my time on Robinsons, to me they felt like the proverbial chalk and cheese even though they can, properly operated, achieve the same things. I never noticed that the power pedal moved, but I sure did notice the substantial non-linearity of the fenestron. I quickly became friends with it in all regimes except entering and leaving the hover, where it's non-linearities still elude a proper programming in my muscle memory.

It's hard for me to say if the fenestron is intrinsically more difficult or if it just seems that way because I'm used to a plain old tail rotor. If one had never flown anything but a G2 "it is what it is". Indeed, one might be inclined to think that those who are transitioning from a tail rotor to a fenestron might be a bit more dangerous, so to speak, than someone who never knew anything but a fenestron.

I'd like to hear from someone who has experienced the opposite transition, i.e. learned on G2's and then found themselves in, say, a Robinson, and how it felt to go the other way, fenestron to tail rotor. My gut feel is that this is a lot easier than the reverse.