PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ' Luck of a Lancaster'
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2018, 19:24
Lou Scannon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chugalug2
PN;-

Occasionally though you were privileged enough to be treated to amusing anecdotes. Typically self deprecating ones of course, as that was the default norm for that generation. Chalky White (who else?), a Flt Lt instructor at 242 OCU RAF Thorney Island, spoke of being an OTU student Wellington Pilot. Having gone solo his crew was mustered for Harris's first '1000 bomber' raid, on Cologne. They found the city, bombed it, but lost an engine in doing so.

Somehow he managed to fly it back home and later enjoyed his OM bacon and egg breakfast in splendid isolation, as his fellow students on the raid had beaten him back there. There was however a group of instructors on another table (of course!) chatting. Eventually one of them who recognised him came across the room for a word. "Glad to see you made it back, young White, how did you get on?". "Oh we found the target well enough, Sir, but I lost an engine". "Oh, bad luck, but well done for making it back. Now you know why it's called the pig, for that is what it is with one feathered!". Chalky responded politely but vaguely, and later sought out his own instructor. "What does feathered mean, Sir?".
I can verify that story as I too was once a student with Chalky White. It seems that he had only flown the Mk 1 Wimpy before the op, and that didn't have a feathering prop as did the one he flew to Germany.. Interestingly Chalky's civilian occupation before enlistment was as an undertakers apprentice which gave rise to many interesting stories over a coffee!