PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gipsy Queen Engines
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2018, 23:58
Gipsy Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
I recall reading recently (can't remember where) that there are still three airworthy Doves left in the world, including presumably G-DHDV (VP981) at Headcorn.

They probably account for most, if not all, of the Gipsy Queens still flying.
Hey Chaps - I've achieved fame at last!

Only three 104s still airborne? - I remember when they were just about everywhere. This rather dents visions of my continued youthfulness . . . .

My last encounter with a Queen involved a zero-houred engine which was unusually rough running and not long after installation, swallowed an exhaust valve in flight. Big arguments with Rolls Royce who by then had assumed responsibility for DH engines. My contention was that the Silphenuz (like Teflon) coating of the exhaust valve stem had lost adhesion, rolled up and jammed in the guide. There was ample evidence to support this contention but Rolls were obdurate. Later discovered that the unit had been supplied to another Dove but the Coal Board pilot had rejected it. Something a bit naughty somewhere.

Quite a few hours with Queens; even more with the junior Gipsy III and later Major Mk10 and have to say I liked and trusted them all. Quite the opposite in the case of the dreadful Continental Tiara. I thought the Queen worked well in the Prentice but what an ugly aircraft! I seem to recall from the distant recesses of memory that the blown six also was fitted to the one and only Planet Satellite but I think Proctors might have had naturally aspirated engines. Could be wrong - probably am. It was all so long ago..

I have to say I find the CAA advice to be simplistic bordering on the stupid. If there is demonstrably low compression or unacceptable running characteristics, the power plant, (of whatever type or manufacture), is not fit to be flown. I wonder if the CAA has established a connection with the valve seat recession associated with the absence of tetra ethyl lead in automotive fuels. Of course, that's just idle musing and probably not relevant to current avgas formulation.