PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Quality of your Instruction…
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2003, 01:21
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I disagree that you should NOT use Navaids at all. If its fitted, you should know how to use it. A GPS doesn't nescessarily lead to pilots bashing through CAS, in fact if its used right it will prevent this.

I agree that a student should NOT use a GPS in general cross country training flights, but if fitted they should know how to use them and when its pertinent to use them (ie when they get lost). This should be included in the instrumentation instruction which is required,and should be carried out before solo X/C's in my opinion. Get a Lat and Long of the display and draw your fix on the chart. Same goes for conventional navaids, find the radial, find a DME, draw the fix on the chart. Its pretty easy,most student pilots will have the nescessary brain power to do this.....In fact in the future its going to be essential for Private pilots to know how to use a GPS. Had a look in an OMF Symphony yesterday, lovely 2 seater modern 152 equivalent, its instrumentation consisted of twin Garmin 430's......

Cheers
EA