PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To Danny and all - Polish airmen in the RAF
Old 6th Sep 2018, 20:50
old,not bold

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
One of the most colourful characters at Sleap in the early '60s was Adam Wojda, an ex-RAF Polish pilot. A great character, he came to my wedding in 1969. He was frequently grounded, on one occasion for showing me how to fly circuits with a neat little stall turn at each end of the downwind leg "to please these pedants who want square circuits". He also taught me - in an Auster - how to do a steep full-flap fish-tailing final approach (ie side-slipping alternately left and right down to about 50ft) so that you could see the runway ahead. I visited the club many years later to find him propped up on the bar, flying days over, it seems. It was a bit sad. I never did know about his RAF career; I imagine it was fighters but that's all I know. He did not talk about it. He had only a passing acquaintance with discipline, a Polish characteristic that's to be admired. (I can say that as 3 of my grand-children and their Dad now have Polish passports, as their mother always has, in preparation for Brexit.)