PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2018, 13:41
Danny42C

663 Squadron Auster V low flying ove airfield somewhere in Italy. needs info. (Photos: SIkorski's Institute)

sycamore (#16),

It can't be ..... zoomed in as far as possible and got magnifying glass out. They've got a tarpaulin over the cockpits, but the tail end is unmistakable. It's a VV, and no mistake ! (then a chap's head gets in the way, but is that a prop blade tip on the other side of the helmet ?) I think it's an A-31, as otherwise the big rear 0.50 would be sticking back out of the tarpaulin (but is it ? - sharper eyes than mine needed !)

These pictures have been taken in 1945. The VV has a roundel plus yellow (?)ring - some sign of a training aircraft ?

This is utterly mystifying. How on earth could a VV get to ITALY in 1945 ? A few Mk.Is had come across to UK for evaluation: possibly when they were found useless they were chucked all over the place .... and this is one.

If it is an A-35 (Mk.IV), then the Free French took a few (in Morocco), could one have got to Italy ? We took some Mk.IVs, but modded them as target tugs. and I think the cable windmill was on the port side.

I am completely foxed. Is there anyone alive who can throw light on this ?

Thanks a lot, sycamore ! Danny.