PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Shocking pictures show female RAF recruit hurled around by naked servicemen'
Old 4th Sep 2018, 21:13
ByronCedric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wyler
OK, here are the facts. I was the CO from 1999 to 2002.
There are about 20 people on the remote Radar Sites ranging from Chefs to Technicians. The HQ is the Control and Reporting Centre at MPA. The HQ is known as Griffin and the Unit 303SU.
The radar site boss was a Chief Tech.
All the TG12 personnel were based at MPA. However, we did send one to each site on a 2 to 4 week rotation, male or female, for the experience and also to fill an operational requirement that is not relevant to this 'story'.
Did things occasionally get out of hand on the remote sites? - yes. The main culprits were usually visitors invited up from MPA for parties. It was an irritation but nothing major and the usual I.e too much drink, some damage and the odd scuffle.
Initiation ceremonies were always an issue and often difficult to police. You could have call the policies you wanted, and we did,but when the helicopter leaves and the doors are shut.....these activities were by no means unique to the radar sites. Some of the worst happened at MPA.
Regarding this young ladies account: those pictures seem genuine enough and are not good. That activity was not condoned and had I, or any other Officer, been aware of it it would have been stopped immediately. Those responsible would have been dealt with accordingly.
However, no complaint was ever made either at the time or in the months/years afterwards by this female (or anyone else on the site, including dozens of visitors). Everyone was interviewed when they left 303SU and we always encouraged honest feedback in order to make things better for those who came next. If she was so traumatised and upset why did she not scream from the rooftops. She did not. Offered a trip in an F3? Rubbish. That was not within anyone's gift who worked on the unit.
Friends of mine saw her show last year and asked her direct questions afterwards regarding names etc. She was unwilling or unable to answer.
The fringe is starting next week and she has a show to advertise. This is nothing more than a publicity stunt.
Sorry to bring this old thread back but I'vee just stumbled across it. I was the NCO admin at Byron the same year as the reported incident and this sort of stuff happened all the time. Initiation ceremonies happened as soon as you landed and there was sexual innuendo everywhere. As for interviewing everyone as they came off the mountain, the only interview I received was from my 1st RO during my Det Report.

If you really were the CO of the mountain sites then you did a **** job if you didn't know any of this was going on!