PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bathurst races this weekend
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2003, 22:38
BIK_116.80
on your FM dial

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G’day apache,

Actually it does when the wx is cr@p, and EVERYBODY is having to do the approach.
Would you care to provide a regulatory reference to support that statement? I don’t believe there is one.

It’s class G – every man for himself.

If you were inbound to Bathurst from the south and were aware that six aircraft in a row had gone around from the NDB approach due to low cloud to the north of the aerodrome would you see much point in going to the north of the aerodrome to do an NDB approach? I wouldn’t.

If there was a GPS arrival on or close to your initial inbound track from the south wouldn’t you consider trying that instead? I would.

In 2000, there were a/c stacked up to FL150 doing holding patterns.
Their choice I guess - although I really don’t understand why others kept attempting the NDB after the first three or four guys missed out. I would have thought it should have been obvious that the weather to the north of the aerodrome was below the NDB approach minima. I don’t know why those pilots didn’t go and do a GPS arrival from some other direction. Perhaps the aircraft were not GPS equipped, or perhaps the pilots were not suitably trained?

Either way, I’d rather get it on the ground and go watch the race than fly round and round in circles for hours. Each to their own I guess.

....two professional pilots went head to head in IMC....
If either pilot was concerned that there was a collision hazard then they should have altered course. Where’s the problem?

Is the LUFTEX circus going to appear again?
Yes – all three rings, all beautifully co-ordinated by the usual ringmaster.