PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2018, 14:26
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Keg
So take a good hard look in the mirror mirror folks and ask yourselves what makes you the ‘right person’.
Keg,

Good post but I sympathize with the frustration if not confusion with the “process” expressed in this thread. It strikes a similar chord with recruiting here at our equivalent of QANTAS: DL, UA, AA, SW, UPS and FedEx (and even lesser outfits). So, I’ll ask a question or two.

How do the processes at work, from a candidate’s brief and carefully-coached interview performance, purport to foretell with accuracy whether an applicant will be the “right person” over a span of several decades ?

I’ll admit that the recruiting process apparently gets it right most of the time but can’t say with 100% certainty if the process is responsible or whether the majority of all candidates just would’ve turned out as suitable anyway after being immersed in (and further shaped by) the airline and its culture...assuming technical competence as a given.

We’ve all got stories of really good people (whom WE knew far better than any HR process ever could) being turned away or never even getting a shot at an interview…and then flying with people sporting absolutely toxic attitudes who shouldn’t even have been hired to sweep out the hangar; they all came through the same “scientific” process.

How does one account for that ?

Is there follow up post-hiring/training to correlate the effectiveness of the HR process with results the Chosen Ones demonstrate over time ? And then adjustments made to the process to correct the errors demonstrated in the process results ?

The interview process here has reached the level and tenor of a Monty Python skit; even getting the chance to participate involves some mysterious miracle. Professional application review by someone specializing in the particular airline, study and practice for a tech and/or cognitive exam, interview coaching, attending career “fairs” (plural...if you can even get a slot from the limited number available) in hopes of getting literally minutes with a recruiter who might just look at your application, then maybe an online psych assessment like the Hogan, Gallup or some other “organizational fitness” test, then a video interview to see if they even want to give you a face-to-face go at it. A stumble at any point can be life altering.

[Perhaps I’ll address the panel interview itself another time]

And yet, those having none of the traits which the HR experts claim to deliver continue to appear. Yep, their train set and all, but I understand the frustration.

Last edited by bafanguy; 4th Sep 2018 at 20:30.