PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Sues For Forced Retirement
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2018, 12:27
beamer

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts
Whatever Wayne's motives might be, and they surely cannot be financial, I suspect that a ruling in his favour will not change the UK aviation scene that much and some form of appeal from the CAA would surely be inevltable putting the whole issue on hold for a further period of time.

The majority of pilots of my acquaintance have ceased commercial flying before getting to the age of 65. That being said, for every final salary fatcat ( that sounds harsh but its not meant to be ! ) there may well be a pilot who has been through the divorce process, raised a second family or perhaps been made redundant upon multiple occasions or seen their pensions shredded as in Monarch. Even in the latter sets of circumstances the prospect of working, even if part-time, may well be unpalatable for many. I do know pilots who would have continued after their 'enforced' retirement age but their numbers are dwarfed by those who got out at the first viable opportunity.

Would a change in the rules to a higher upper age limit of say 68 or 70 have a huge impact on times to command ? Personally I doubt it for the simple reason that, in my opinion at least, the take-up rate would not be very high. Complications with regulations imposed by other nation states could mean that the effective use of a higher age limit from the British Courts would be limited. Would pilots, already over 65, be rushing to find jobs having been away from flying for some time, again, I doubt it and the question of who would employ them and in what capacity would be an interesting one to answer.

If Wayne's campaign is unsuccessful, there will still be opportunities for non-flying roles such as simulator instructors ( the age of some around LGW never ceased to amaze me ! ) whilst the world of light-aircraft and simple pleasure flying awaits for those who need a regular fix.

Having already taken the decision to retire early ( no final-salary or Ferrari ) I have no particular axe to grind on this one but it may be that this is an opportune time to take on the CAA which some people tell me is in a state of permanent chaos