PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 FMA ''G/S'' callout
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2018, 04:37
pineteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PEI_3721
A problem in calling all ‘normal states’ is that this can lead to ‘wish think’ - you think that you have said the words, but may not have; or ‘hear think’ - you believe that an expected conditions exists, but in fact does not.

The better approach is to only call the undesirable states - ‘no glideslope’, at a time when it should be armed / engage. This has the advantage of reducing ‘callout clutter’ (soggy SOPs), such as GS armed, GS engaged, GS star/dual, etc.
I could not agree more. I believe it would make more sense to call out unexpected conditions. I don't understand why we need to call ''ALT*'' then '' ALT''. Like oh wow, what a surprise! Like why not focussing on the non normal state instead? I know, some will argue that's the only way to crosscheck we both have checked the FMA... But if both pilots do their FMA scan properly, they would pick it up quickly if something is odd. Anyway, I'm getting paid to read out loud the FMA, so I will keep doing it. Except when left alone in the flight deck.. xD
Same goes for the guys calling '' Clear right side'' every 10 seconds during taxi while barely looking out. Like dude, I'm not blind. Why don't you keep looking outside and call my attention only when there is a threat? Keep your energy for God Sake.