PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 16:53
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Danny:-
At 11:00 our Prime Minister, the Rt. Hon. Neville Chamberlain, came on to say:

"This morning the British Ambassador in Berlin handed the German Government a final Note stating that, unless we heard from them by 11 o'clock that they were prepared at once to withdraw their troops from Poland, a state of war would exist between us. I have to tell you now that no such undertaking has been received, and that consequently this country is at war with Germany".
He immediately followed that by adding:-

"You can imagine what a bitter blow it is to me that all my long struggle to win peace has failed. Yet I cannot believe that there is anything more or anything different that I could have done and that would have been more successful."

As if anybody was trying to imagine how he felt when they were rather more preoccupied with their own feelings! The full text can be seen on the Beeb Archive. Saying that we and France were now going to the aid of the Poles was stretching things rather, especially as it was immediately followed by the "Sitz Kreig". :-

BBC - Archive - WWII: Outbreak - The Transcript of Neville Chamberlain's Declaration of war