PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 14:30
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
DANNY: I don't know what became of Frank Radina other than commander of one of the Hastings when 202 Sqn went to Leconfield to convert onto SAR Whirlwinds. I have, however, found an entry on the 202 Sqn website which states: "... someone asked me if I knew who carried out the burial at sea for Master Pilot Frank Radina and I replied that I had forgotten, but would look it up. The answer is Master Pilot H A Harrison on 11 April 1968 in Whirlwind XJ437 accompanied by Squadron Leader Faulkener.

FRANEK: My father was ground crew, his job being to have a Hastings ready to go at 0800 every morning, plus a spare if it went u/s. The other three were on maintenance and could be raided for spares if really necessary, just as long as Bismuth met its ETD! As a youngster at RAF Binbrook (Lincolns, 1949/51) I remember the shoulder flashes for Commonwealth countries, for Poland and Czechoslovakia. The Poles and Czechs spoiled us kids rotten. I have never forgotten my father explaining that many of these brave men had left their own families behind what became the Iron Curtain.