PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former QF Pilots sue QF Super
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 10:14
wombat watcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Duck Pilot;10240090]
I really feel for these 2 pilots as this could happen to anyone of us.

I’m on the other side of 40 and have LOL, a young family and all the the financial stresses and I always believed that my LOL will get me and my family out of a bind should my health pack up. I’m having second thoughts now and I will certainly be getting into the fine print.

I have absolutely no doubt that these 2 pilots would have not went to the media if they didn’t believe they were treated unfairly.[QUOTE]

Duck,
This is not about whether they have been paid their LOL.
In Qf mainline by virtue of their employment contract, a pilot gets automatic LOL coverage without medical exclusions, currently worth in excess of $1,000,000 at no cost to the pilot.Who else gets that coverage? Also, if the Qf mainline pilot hasn’t opted out of Qf super altogether they get coverage for total and permanent disability like any other Qf employee and member ( no premium paid). A number of Qf pilots also pay an extra policy for income protection or perhaps even LOL coverage at the own expense and option.
Within the Qf mainline administration the result is that if a mainline pilot loses their licence medically and are paid the LOL capital benefit, when the trustee( board) is considering eligibility for total and permanent disability payment, if the LOL capital benefit is paid, the pilot doesn’t get an extra equivalent amount. If in some cases the super benefit exceeds the LOL amount( highly unlikely) the difference maybe paid.
i think this is the question being tested here.
The question may well be that the optional extra coverage is being tested but I don’t think so on the information available. I am convinced that if this was the case AIPA would be pursuing the case , not ambulance chasers.
The Qfsuper CEO denies the pilots paid a premium for their disputed coverage.

Last edited by wombat watcher; 3rd Sep 2018 at 10:36.