PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 05:02
Flighthawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All the big questions!

Hi all EK pilots,

I would like to get an honest response from all pilots on here working for the EK.

I'm currently thinking about applying and have read through all these threads hearing a lot of bad and not much good. I know each company has there flaws and working conditions aren't good for pilots anywhere anymore. I'm just trying to get a full lifestyle review from people over there. The working conditions that I face in my country is continuous duty flights where you go in at the end of the evening and operate back first thing in the morning with 4-6 hrs rest. At the bottom of the senority probable for the next 5 years. I'm Captain now but will likely never see Christmas or Prime Summertime off for the next 6 years. I can't progress to anything bigger with my current company, not that I care on which machine I fly, but pay also lacks topping out at about $130,000 in 20 years from now. Right now after paying taxes I only see about $60,000 as a Captain.

My big questions are:
Expected timeline to Captain after start date at Emirates?
Are you type Frozen on the 777 when you start if you want to switch to the A380? And if so how long?
What are the layover times (ie: DXB-SEA 14hr 10 min flt, or DXB-SFO 16hr 40min flt)
Is the housing allowance gone now and unable to opt out of the company crew accommodations and get your own place? (ie: the $5100 dollar house allowance)
How much can you actually save a pay check? (Assuming an average lifestyle nothing to extravagant)
I did the math based on a 2% increase yearly and a upgrade after 3 years that you could presumably save $3.32 million if you stayed 15years and saved every penny.
How expensive are groceries if you wanna lead a healthy lifestyle? (Average weekly costs)
Do they actually charge a 150% VAT on alcohol now on duty free if you bring some in from a pairing? Also how expensive is it to go to the liquor store with your liquor permit card and discounts through Emirates?