PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 FMA ''G/S'' callout
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 00:39
Escape Path

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryMG
I flew recently with one captain who insisted it should be "Gee-Es" because "glideslope" is reserved for calling out of stabilization criteria. His reasoning being, that when he hears "Glideslope", one cannot be sure whether it's mode annunciation or a callout that something is wrong with the glideslope.
My oh my, one of those "confused" aviators. That's a bit of "over-engineering problems". I mean, really? The thing is boxed right in front of you and you just called "glide slope star" (or gee ess star, whatever ) a couple of seconds ago. The ability of some pilots to engineer problems amazes me sometimes.

In regards to the OP, check your SOP. Is there a specific way to call it written in there? Call it that way. Is there not? Then call it as you like, preferably in the most clear way possible to your partner! I call it simply "glide slope (star)", but then again, I call "Loc", "nav", "Alt", or even a mix: "alt constraint star"! So what do I know...

As you know, not all things are written and in those cases, I believe things should be as concise and clear as possible, so as long as you don't call it something like "sliding down the glide" or something as or more ridiculous than that, you're fine. So if you call "gee ess" (I'd probably raise an eyebrow though as I'm not used to hearing it) or "glide slope" I guess I wouldn't care. Just my 2c though.

PS: Save yourself some unnecesary exposure and call it as your partners call it (so long as it's something acceptable!)