PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rescues in the Southern Ocean January 1997
Old 2nd Sep 2018, 03:48
Fris B. Fairing

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by walschaert valve
Back in the 1980s I was at Hawker Pacific and we modified a number of B200s for the National Safety Council with inward opening doors. The aircraft could be depressurized and the door opened in flight. The idea was for deploying parachuters, once they jumped out the door was shut and the aircraft could be repressurised. I went on a number of the flights where we tested the process opening and closing the door. It might have been one of those Kingairs after the NSC was wound up - can't remember the time frame of that happening.

I often wonder what happened to those aircraft and if they're still operating.
Thank you WV for that most helpful information. I have been researching the NSCA B200s hence my delay in getting back to you. It seems that they had 6 in total:

VH-NSD BL-55 NSCA #21
VH-NSE BL-10 NSCA #22
VH-NSF BL-50 NSCA #23
VH-NSG BL-09 NSCA #24
VH-NSR BL-40 NSCA #30
VH-NSS BB-12 NSCA #25

All were B200C with the big freight door except VH-NSS which was the ex Thiess B200 with the single airstair door.

It appears that 4 were modified with the inward opening door and the bubble windows aft of the door on both sides. These were NSD, NSF, NSG and NSR.

VH-NSF and NSR departed Australia before the Bullimore rescue in JAN97 so they are eliminated. That leaves NSD and NSG. The NSCA collapsed in 1989 and by 1997 NSG was with Lloyd/Skywest as VH-KZL. NSD had been operating with the North Qld Emergency Response Group in Cairns but on 14FEB97 it was re-registered VH-FDA to the RFDS. I'm guessing that at the time of the Bullimore rescue NSD would have been undergoing overhaul and mods before delivery to the RFDS. That would leave VH-KZL as the most likely candidate.

One interesting anomaly that came up during my research concerns VH-NSR. It definitely had the modified door while with the NSCA but in FEB90 it was photographed at Cairns in Lloyd colours, still with the bubble windows but with a conventional downward opening airstair door! This prompts me to ask if Hawker Pacific reworked the original door or did they build a new door from scratch thus enabling the original airstair door to be refitted as required?

The only aircraft remaining in Australia is the former VH-NSG which is currently with Aus West Airlines at Jandakot as VH-NTG. Disposition of the others:

NSD to USA as N356AA
NSE to Canada as C-FAMB
NSF to USA as N54HF
NSR to Denmark as OY-GEB
NSS to USA as N193GA.

Rgds