PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2018, 15:08
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by thegypsy
rog 747

Well remember Mykonos starting as was by then LGW based and got checked out to operate there. It was just 4200 ft long and 30m wide and no fuel in those days so one had to arrive with enough to get to Athens to refuel. It was always windy whenever I went there which made it interesting.
Oh yes!
25-30 knots straight down the runway - land to the North over the beach.
I was with Monarch after BMA in the mid 80's, and JMK JTR and JSI were all IIRC 2 Capt's, plus sometimes an FO, or another skipper being checked out -
All those flights had to plan to pick up fuel at ATH inbound and maybe some catering too, (SKG was the tech stop for the JSI flights inbound)

I recall 737-200's were one of the only jets used from the UK
OM KT BY AE GB KG DA all sent their pocket rockets down there in those days.
I think BIA did use 1-11's to JSI

The Germans, and Scandinavians were sending in Caravelles and DC-9's to JMK at first, possibly the 727-100 but never saw one.
All OA used from ATH was the SH-330...never saw an OA jet there ever.

Best laugh ever - We sent a 737 down to JMK from LGW with the APU U/S one early morning, once there shuts down, but someone forgets to tell Kostas and Spiros we need an airstart...(wasn't me)
Guess what no airstart at JMK - Ooops -
One 737 AOG 24 hours with 130 pax until the following day the LTN-HER drops into JMK on its way south to jump start our stranded LGW 737.
Happy days.

(sorry for going off-piste here but did get LTN mentioned at the end....)