PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2018, 10:53
Chocks Away

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeh good points Keg especially the last paragraph... it's all about keeping the money-earners (aircraft) moving so they can keep earning the $$$.
Pilots? They're a liability as Jimmy-bow-tie once slipped out by mistake at an AGM many years back.

The key phrase is though, something you said earlier:
and we’ve lost them to other carriers.
Yes, QF may be gloating that they have many applicants but those applicants now have many options, depending on their lifestyle choice or needs. It's a global market and QF isn't "top of the pops" anymore. This availability of choice for the pilots hasn't happened in decades and it's obvious many HR departments & Airline managements are struggling with the shift in power (so is AIPA and AFAP!!!). The QF Group will continue to lose applicants to other airlines, until they match what's on offer with the airlines they've 'lost them to" and also clean up the "divide & conquer" EBA mess that is Sunnies v Eastern; Jetstar v Mainline; Network v Cobham etc etc etc (Engineering is the same, sadly).
I don't know where people have their heads but they're certainly not seeing what I'm seeing or reading the journals I am because there's a DESPERATE shortage of pilots everywhere now.
Name a continent and I'll give you half a dozen airlines immediately screaming for crew. Legacy carriers are now in the mix too. It's not rocket science... pay more $$$! Share you Managerial Bonuses around, to those at the coal-face instead of what amounts to blackmail bonuses.
Perth is a classic example that shows the shortage well. When I fly in I see so many Skippers/Cobham/Network/VARA aircraft on the ground... and it's peak morning or afternoon time when they are meant to be flying. Heck QF even have their B747 running a domestic run each day (great for punters and yes I'm aware of the "training bottle-neck").

OPINION: Pilot shortage has no easy solution
Shame on them for wishing another downturn! What bastards to even think it and the realities of what happens to millions of families!

Last edited by Chocks Away; 1st Sep 2018 at 11:25.