PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbulence and cabin temperature
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2018, 01:10
Escape Path

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That depends. I've seen some skippers do crazy things with the AC of the airplane. Ranging from not selecting APU bleed before main door opening in a 30ēc destination (and before external AC being connected) to "save fuel/money/whatever" to others going crazy with it and selecting 18-19ēc for the whole cabin (and flightdeck!) on a red-eye flight "because cold makes them not fall asleep". Jeez.

I'm a big supporter for pax comfort and try to do as many things as possible within reason to make an enjoyable experience for the pax. Certainly having the proper temperature aids in comfort and I gather that this "technique", so to speak, would be for a case of a somewhat prolonged turbulence. Don't know how other things, for example speed, would come into the equation as a slower speed can make a turbulence feel more "rhytmic" instead of plain bumpy. Perhaps a combination of various factors or methods can aid to counteract motion sickness.

I just recalled that many moons ago when I was a kid and used to travel by car with some family members, who are quite prone to get motion sickness, they used to lower the windows of the car whenever they started to feel it kick in. It did help them to a certain extent; I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work on an airplane too...