PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2018, 13:15
rog747

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Great archives there of the May-flys from the very late 70's - Thank you, most interesting.

We notice Monarch OM and Britannia BY are now the major players at LTN with having the most departures to the Med resorts, Canaries,and beyond.
Italy and Sicily are very popular, especially with Monarch and the Greek Islands not yet much on the map - although Athens was then a big charter destination for both holidays, and to join cruise ships.
(The 720B was the long haul king then to the Caribbean via Gander or the Azores)
Britannia having a lone fleet of 737-200's with the newer ADV models coming on stream.

An OM 1-11 is booked going down to Corfu but I notice the corresponding inbound is back from Rimini, so I guess that was the tech stop on the way home.
Seems Malta Sicily, and Tunis, Monastir was about the furthest the 1-11 500 normally ventured.

Some very late hour 1-11 and 720 departures and early hours arrivals back in all through the night (imagine the noise!)

Note the big gaps in movements during the day which I remember when being at LTN - No arrivals or departures for hours, then a batch of landings zooming back in.

Dan Air no longer sees much of presence then at LTN as Clarkson's had gone bust in 1974, so no Comet, or much 1-11 or even 727 traffic.
DA had a busy 1-11 300/400 IT fleet base at LTN from 1969, and by 1971 had 5 1-11 jets based there, plus the Comets coming and going for the longer flights, some on W's)
We see here only weekend W flights from/to Palma Mahon and Malaga on a 1-11.
I think DA recovered at LTN as I seem to recall plenty of 727's and 1-11 500's operating in and out.

Some Yugoslavia charter traffic with JAT JR 707 and Inex Adria JP DC-9, but not as busy as the early and mid 70's, and surprisingly no Aviogenex JJ TU-134

No Aviaco AO DC-8 or CVL, and no Air Spain JA DC-8's who had gone bust a few years earlier.
Also no Spantax BX seen either - CV990 or DC-9.

Thomsons, Skytours and Budget Holidays (Direct sell, huge thick brochure, remember them?) were the biggest user of BY (plus the MOD)
and Cosmos Holidays were Monarch's in-house airline, with Pontinental a large charterer in their own right with both OM, BY and also BX.
With the loss of Court Line and Clarksons a few years before it seems that in 1979 LTN was getting quite busy.

Thanks for the memories!

Last edited by rog747; 31st Aug 2018 at 13:42.