PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Sues For Forced Retirement
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2018, 08:17
Count of Monte Bisto

Received 338 Likes on 111 Posts
I am 59 and retirement approaches. I have loved my working life but will be glad to slow down as working low cost is pretty tiring (it is probably is tiring for nearly everyone these days). As I read the comments of a younger generation on here, the message is very clear - 'Move over you old git and let us all advance on up the ladder'. My lifelong observation of the pilot community is that they are some of the most selfish and self-centered group of employees in the labour market today. The very same people who opposed rights for women pilots having children (a vital necessity to produce the next generation) and who stuffed their Dan Air colleagues now want rights to work as long as they want. Needless to say, the people who will be disadvantaged by that (FOs waiting to get commands in a seniority system) are up in arms. In a growing population of older people it is inevitable that people work longer. This is compounded by changes in family practices in our society - divorce was very rare a generation ago, but is sadly the norm today. Many pilots have had to pay for 3 houses, often entirely because of their own follies in their personal lives. Nonetheless, I see no credible argument to kick a pilot out on the basis of age along, subject to medical tests and simulator assessments etc. I think that morally this chap will win the argument, but in reality it will effect very few people. I wish him success to cater for those few brave souls who need to carry on a bit longer.