PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captain’s expectations of a new FO.
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2018, 08:15
Information Unicorn

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ezydriver
Turning up habitually early is a no no. When I walk into a crew room and find my FO at the briefing table with all 4 OFPS printed out and sections of the NOTAMS/WX all highlighted for
me at report time I now know that the FO
is not compliant with the FTL scheme in a company where pilot fatigue is a major issue. Unfortunately said FO’s think this is how to get along in said airline due to the culture. No. Try to think for yourself. If there isn’t enough time provided we take the time required and to hell with the schedule. Turning up early covers over the problems.
Rubbish. You don’t know that at all. It could be for many reasons*, maybe worth asking them to find out, start off with some CRM?

* flying with a Captain that “hogs” the flight plans, doesn’t involve the FO, and is close to retirement (although in that case the FO is a little stuck between doing his job and having a bearable day)

* having had plenty of rest, traffic was light, no queue at security and arrived 20 mins early. Are they going to wait for you to turn up to start? Of course not

* being someone who has been burned before with 56 pages of FCO NOTAMS... 😂

* just someone who wants to be (note - doesn’t HAVE to be) early and prepared. Maybe it was not min rest from last nights late ALC, for the first time in ages

* etc.