PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Quality of your Instruction…
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2003, 17:59
MikeeB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still don't agree with not using Radio Nav aids (or knowing how to use them) before doing your QXC.

Of course each school/instructor has different thoughts on this, but I had to fly a triangle using radio nav's before I was allowed to go off on my QXC.

From my own personnal POV, I was very happy about this, as it gave me much needed confidence that I may not have had, should I not have demonstrated to an instructor that I could indeed fly from A to B to C and back to A without looking out the window to get a ground fix.

Quite early on in my navigation exercises, I was also flow to a place (i.e. simulate been lost) by an instructor, then told to pin point my location using radio nav aids and plot a course to somewhere.

At the right school, and with the right instructor(s), they should be able to make the call as to if you are upto the job of using them or not, and at what speed to introduce them into your flying.

I actually cocked up one of my first duel nav exercises, and the instructor asked me the question "do you know how do use VOR's". I said yes, and he said "well use this one to get us home then, since you've cocked your sheet up". (which I did).

I'd much rather learn to fly at a school that teaches you at a pace that matches your capabilities, rather than one that follows a set pattern for each and every student, regardless.