PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2018, 17:40
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Interesting indeed, Franek. The only thing he told us was of his long and dangerous journey to Gib, and hence the UK and RAF, where he flew with BC. His English vocabulary was limited (understandably) in the 60s, and somewhat colourful as well! Now he turns out to be Moslem! The abbreviations on Icare's site are given here, including those of Victor's awards:-

https://listakrzystka.pl/en/zasady_w...#Wykaz_Skrotow

A DFC and two bars equivalent! Also the Polish Air Force Medal, and a Wounded in Action one. I presume those in the Polish Air Force in the UK were only entitled to Polish Awards, or were they allowed UK ones too? How did the CoC work, were they fully integrated into the RAF and subject to RAF Air Force Law, or was there a more complicated system in force?

Those immediate Post War years were not morally easy ones for the UK. In particular we handed back ex Red Army Cossacks to the USSR who faced almost certain death. At least there was a place for the Poles who remained with us in the UK Services. I seem to recall that a group of them, I guess ex Army Engineers, who well into retirement stuck together in teams clearing minefields and munitions in the UK. Dangerous work but they faced it together!