PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Developed this irrational fear, please help....
Old 10th Oct 2003, 17:45
Northern Highflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-STRING

I started a thread a few weeks ago after a flight on a hot and very very turbulent day which made me feel like I wasn't fully in control of the a/c. I received a lot of good advice off the forum and started to realise that what happened to me was quite normal.

It had knocked my confidence a little (well no a lot if I am honest) and I then booked an hour with an instructor with the brief "show me exactly what this can do". We flew slow (very slow), climbed the a/c at the stall, incipient spins, incipient stall with wing drop, crossed controls, the works. It worked for me and I soon realised just how stable the a/c is. I have since been up in worse conditions and to my genuine surprise my doubts had gone. I felt "at one" with the a/c if that makes sense and actually enjoyed riding the bumps. Now I have never enjoyed my flying so much.

The trouble with getting a PPL is that you only learn to fly it normally, with the exception of a few stalls or a spiral dive. I think it is useful to have an instructor take it to the limits so that you can see for yourself exactly what it is capable of doing.

I will also do a few aeros when I can, for the reasons stated by other posters.

Best of luck

NH