PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Engineering (BSc) Final Year Dissertation
Old 30th Aug 2018, 16:19
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
I spend my life worrying about what can be improved about aviation, and such projects are bread and butter.

However, you state that you're doing an Aircraft Engineering BSc - those are usually academic backstops to maintenance courses, and usually have fairly minimal design / structures / aerodynamic content. If you were doing an Aerospace Engineering BEng then a design project like this would make a lot of sense, I'm less convinced on the course you're describing.

My other main comment would be about overstretch - designing a wing is a huge task, and far beyond any undergraduate dissertation project. *If* you tackle this, I think you need to refine it down to a particular narrow area - for example modelling it aerodynamically and estimating the performance impact, or modifying an airfix model and putting the "before" and "after in a wind tunnel to try and show the major effects. If you are of a structures bent, perhaps looking at the structural implications compared to the norm of a straight trailing edge?

But, I would check what your degree is really about? If it's a maintenance or technology degree, you perhaps need to re-align your ambitions towards what you've already studied.

G