PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Adapting to night flight
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2018, 12:40
krismiler

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Make sure your room is conducive to sleep, I ended up blacking out my windows. Heating/air conditioning as appropriate.

Try not to sleep in too long when you arrive home as it will stop you from sleeping that night. If I get to bed at 10:00am, I’ll get up at 3:00pm and go back to bed around 11:00pm.

Try and get some sleep before going to work, even 3 hours makes a huge difference.

If you genuinely cannot stay awake on the flight deck, tell the other pilot and take a 30 minute nap, don’t just fall asleep.

Always remember that you aren’t the only one who’s half asleep, ATC, engineers, loaders, fuelers and other pilots are just as tired and suffering reduced performance so be extra careful.

The fatigue is manageable in a B737 range operation as you won’t be suffering 14 hour sectors with multiple time zone changes and minimum rest like you would on a B777 with Emirates.

There are positives, airspace is less congested with direct to and straight in approaches the norm. Finishing on Friday mornings and starting again on Monday night is very common as well. You are also unlikely to get near flight time limitations either.

Id happily go back to it if the money was the same as I’m on now.