PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High On Final?
Thread: High On Final?
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2018, 01:25
Escape Path

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by poldek77
Sorry but I wouldn't like the idea of diving in such a mountainous area at 2000 ft/min or more for a glide slope which is already pretty steep, being busy with speed and configuration change... And I suppose that while orbiting you are still able to stop your descent at the desired altitude.
I had forgotten about the steep G/S! I initially agreed with "intercept from above" as another option to what is being proposed/talked about in here. However, intercepting from above (in my type at least) is sort of a last resort, the altitude difference can't be too much or you risk not intercepting at all, and this is for a 3 degree G/S. The extra degree certainly reduces the altitude margin to be able to perform that particular manoeuvre successfully. Maybe too little margin and perhaps an even greater risk of creating a scenario for an unstable approach. The higher up you can correct your mistakes, certainly the better. Darting (I'd consider darting going down a G/S with altitude to spare at 180ish kts) down like that is certainly reducing margins for correcting mistakes. And it reduces even more by every foot you continue to go down.

Originally Posted by 172_driver
We know absolutely nothing about what went on in the kitchen (cockpit). In contrast to a steep spiral at 230 kts, thrust idle, flaps 5, speed brake out night IMC (as some may imagine).. it could just as well have been smooth sailing at 180 kts, flaps 5, vertical speed at 1000 fpm draging it in with thrust on a moon bright night in obstacle protected airspace.
Agreed. It certainly could be just a case of not too much altitude to be lost, enough to lose it on a 360 in a controlled (i.e. speed and rate of descent) manner.

Originally Posted by 172_driver
Disconnect and enjoy the fun of flying.
Certainly. I think enough evidence has been provided to hint at the possibility of a safe manoeuvre if done with all important things considered.