PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How low for a go around in A300?
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2000, 02:58
GROUNDSTAR

HF8903
Thank you for your input! Sorry to ruin your argument but our minimum DH for a CAT 3B approach is in fact 15'. I have only ever done a go around from 15' in the sim and yes the aircraft does touch the runway very briefly. Like any twin engine jet of that size, the A300 has a very high power to weight ratio. It has to in case of engine failure, so a go around from 100' is really not a problem. The biggest problem during a two engine go around is in pressing the Go Levers which gives an enormous surge of power as the autothrust will deliver TOGA pwr, rather than an intermediate setting. It is very easy then to climb straight through your cleared level by mistake, as it all starts happening rather fast. Several a/c have been lost at this stage through a combination of the autopilot's inability to prvent the a/c from overpitching and the crew's lack of awareness. As to why the a/c in question did not go around when instructed, I'm sure that only the crew know that. I hope it wasn't one of ours!