PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF outlines plans for upgraded B-52
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2018, 14:29
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
Sad, but true. once the RN took over the deterrent it was a fleet looking for a role.
Utter bolleaux! Post-1969 the 5 UK-based Vulcan squadrons were assigned to SACEUR as tactical assets, with 2 further squadrons on Cyprus to back up NATO's southern flank and to be available to redeploy to CENTO if needed.

Some people have no idea that the Vulcan remained in the low-level nuclear role with assigned targets into the 1980s.

Funding priority was elsewhere, however. Most ECM equipment was uselessly obsolete, fatigue mitigating policies hampered training (as was also the case with the F-4). By the time of the South Atlantic war, most aircrew capable of being retrained for other roles had long since left the Vulcan force. The AAR systems hadn't been used for years, neither had crews trained to drop weapons except at low level. As the RAF didn't have any non-nuclear anti-runway weapons which could be carried by the Vulcan, the only option was medium level dumb bombing with the only self protection afforded being provided by borrowed ECM pods and smart operators.

Apart from the so-called I-band jammer (or missile magnet as I termed it when I found out how useless it was against Home-on-Jam attacks a few years later), there had been no thoughts given to Vulcan upgrades for well over 12 years after the RN took over the detergent...

Had the Vulcan been refurbished and upgraded after 1982, to cope with the sort of threat again but from elsewhere, I'm sure that it would have given a good account of itself. Just as the Buff did!

Last edited by BEagle; 30th Aug 2018 at 07:26.