PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First GA Purchase - What to Get?
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2018, 09:02
Genghis the Engineer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, virtually all, possibly all of the UK fatals in T67s have been the smaller engine Mk.2 variants with the 160hp engine.The 200hp military variant is available on the G-reg, albeit more expensive, does not have the problematic safety record, and is a heck of a lot more fun to fly. (Ditto the 260hp version of course, but that might be a challenge under £40k).

Regarding I42's post above - whilst I'm not in the "there's no problem with Fireflies camp", I do agree that that particular accident had far more to do with the pilots than the aeroplane. Two young and doubtless enthusiastic military student pilots, used to a very different type, not trained in the CRM of two pilots in a cockpit - that wasn't a recipe for happiness unfortunately.

That said, with hours in both the T67 and the Bulldog, I'd take a Bulldog every time, which I think is a far nicer aeroplane to fly (albeit that there's a fatigue life issue with *some* airframes.) And there are a few Bulldogs with a back seat.

G