PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First GA Purchase - What to Get?
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2018, 23:47
Forfoxake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark 1
The Vans RV-4 is a great aircraft, simple to maintain, quite economical and very good performance. I've had 3 of them.
They are also not often on the market, so you would need to act quickly (and cautiously) to secure a deal.

As a sailplane pilot, it maybe worth looking for a Fournier RF5. Possibly less availability than the Vans, but combines motor-glider economy with aerobatic capability.

The Jodel D150 Mascaret is nominally aerobatic although most owners seem to respect the aging woodwork and use them just as tourers.

On the lighter side, there's the Rans S10 Sakota which should be well within your budget.

Most of the above should only be considered single seaters for aerobatics sorties. If you want dual aeros, find a partner or two and get an RV-8.
I have been in a D150 doing a loop but imho it is not aerobatic although it is a wonderful tourer.

I flew in a S10 Sakota years ago and really hated it, although it is very cheap! I think most have two stroke engines too, which I no longer fancy!.

I have never flown a Fournier but presume that their aerobatic performance will be similar to a glider. But they are old and wooden too.