PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mountain rating
Thread: Mountain rating
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2018, 22:12
Dan_Brown

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Homsap
Unless it is a requirement by a specific airfield to hold a mountain rating, I would bother doing an EASA Mountain Rating. Having said that many experienced civil and military pilots have come a cropper in mountainous and remote areas.

My advice would be:

(a) Study meteorology at an advanced level (ATPL) with respect to updrafts, downdrafts, turbulence, icing, mountain fog, etc..
(b) know your aircraft's performance.
(c) Understand the perception issues on snow covered landscapes and the problem of 'white out'.
(d) When in valleys always have an escape route.
(e) Consider the survival and rescue issues in remote areas.
(f) Get some dual flying experience in mountain flying with an experienced instructor in the French Alps, Canada or the USA.

Some of the above will not be on the MR course. I should add that 'white out' is not flying in a snow storm as some pilots think, follow the link below:

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/...l.aspx?id=6844
Agreed.

Would just like to add my 2 p's worth.

When flying in a valley, always fly one side of the valley or the other. Normally on the windwood side, not the leeward. You want to be in up going air and if you need to turn 180 you will be turning into wind of course. Never fly up the middle, for escape route reasons. All down drafts end at ground level. �� To be serious though, if you get caught in a rotor going down, as a last resort, move in real close to the upwind side of the valley and you will pick up updraft and less turbulence. You need to be experienced and or brave

When crossing a ridge set yourself up to cross at about a 45 deg angle max to the ridge. Helps if you need to escape if needed. Always have a good idea and keep in mind where the wind is coming from. A good source of lift can be derived from "riding" a ridge.if you get in the lift make sure you stay in it. I'm sure a glider pilot will explain.

The utilization of standing waves is a good and exhilarating source of lift.

Last edited by Dan_Brown; 29th Aug 2018 at 18:05.